i. PURPOSE + CONTEXT
- Secondary level. Explain Primary Genre of live/work/play?
- What is the purpose in the form of a problem? Can you phrase your investigation as a problem rather than an opportunity?
- Who does it affect? (be as specific with users as possible)
- Why is it important? (social / economic value)
Literature Review (+Competitive Audit), 2-3 quotes from previous theory
- (3) 2-paragraphs of theory / reading connection, specific and then general. Specific Paragraph 1 (hour glass): 1) idea; 2) citation; 3) further idea. General Paragraph 2: 3 sentences explaining how this applies to your project. **Address ideas from the reading that include: bottom-up urban design; Latour’s idea of attachment; Morales’s ideas on how the Eixample Plan Cerda works; Allen’s idea of the field condition; Corner’s idea of adaptability with specificity; Jacob’s idea of unpredictability; Schartz’s idea of scenarios; Guallart’s idea of self-sufficiency (Post); Jan Gehl’s ideas of walkability (post); other ideas from readings
Background / Context: Research Info Graphics and Statistics
- Data on idea in Barcelona, facts and statistics. Comparison to other locations. BCN / GRX / PDX / NYC big numbers and %’s.
- Bar and pie charts may also be helpful, especially for comparison. **
- Live data. Is there live data? What is the scale of the data- city, district, neighborhood or urban room?
- Legislation. Are there laws governing your investigation? Europe, Spain, Catalunya, Barcelona, Granada, etc
- Timeline: change in parametric variables over day, week, seasons, years, decades?
- What are indicators on site of your investigation?
- Icons, refine (ex. Whatsapp)
Analysis of Context, Conclusions
- Diagrams- visualize/organize relationships of your ideas in degrees of time, material, space and real-time data
- Revise problem sentence with more specific concerns to target for urban analysis tool (research questions)
ii. URBAN ANALYSIS TOOL
Indicator (Criteria) Development
- Barcelona study 01, indicators + heat map
- Granada, indicators + heat map (different scale, scales of urban room- multiple data points in placetas, neighborhood/district and city.)
- Barcelona study 02, Study Area, indicators + heat map
- Indicator Evolution Diagram
- Final Indicators: Primary, 2-4 + Secondary, 2-4
Precedents / Parametric Places (optional)
- Consider Using a Parametric Places 2012, 2013 or lcaBCN2013 project, first review the project final post and then the GH definition
- Identify / Study one project final post and then the GH definition
- Organize single-relationship diagrams using Illustrator, Rhino and Grasshopper
Method/Approach– Diagram how you will work.
- Data collection methods- possible approaches? App, Excel tool in GH, heat mapping with Google/JPG/Image Sampler in GH, GIS/GH
- Translate your project diagram (ex. City Protocol) into a digital, abstract diagram moving toward you Grasshopper definition. Use Rhino and Illustrator as required.
- unit block, street or hybrid
- unit indicator: parcel, building, street tree planter, bike share station, metro station entrance, etc.
Real Study Block
- District plan, locate study neighborhood and large-scale asymmetries (major roads, natural formations, etc.)
- Neighborhood plan, 3×3 or 4×4
- 3D axonometric drawing with line weights, make 2D
- Identify parametric variables
- Survey Study Block- heat map in plan
- Formhub survey
- Bring into Grasshopper
- Post-process in Illustrator (LINES, Stroke, line weight, line type, etc.)
- Choose a highlight color
- Assess how the color and key words help connect various media in the overall presentation.
- **How do you show the parametric variable over time / blocks in a non-video format? stills, GIF, animation, etc.
- Storyboard, sequence of user interface
- User profile types
iii. INTERFACE, MATERIAL AFFECT OF URBAN INTERVENTION
- Describe an interface (beyond an app) as a human sensory experience in a public space
- Provide swatches of 3-5 types (conditions) of material affect
- Consider relating these to the earlier timeline, (Ex. Corner collage of time, material affect, vector and real-time data)
** I will update the In-Design Template for the final book. For our presentations you should formulate each of these points into approximately one slide. Max 20-25 slides.