General Topic from Urban Experience
- What is the purpose in the form of a problem? Can you phrase your investigation as a problem rather than an opportunity?
- Who does it affect? (be as specific with users as possible)
- Why is it important? (social / economic value)
- (3) 2-paragraphs of theory / reading connection, specific and then general. Specific Paragraph 1 (hour glass): 1) idea; 2) citation; 3) further idea. General Paragraph 2: 3 sentences explaining how this applies to your project. **Address ideas from the reading that include: bottom-up urban design; Latour’s idea of attachment; Morales’s ideas on how the Eixample Plan Cerda works; Allen’s idea of the field condition; Corner’s idea of adaptability with specificity; Jacob’s idea of unpredictability; Schartz’s idea of scenarios; Guallart’s idea of self-sufficiency (Post); Jan Gehl’s ideas of walkability (post); other ideas from readings
Background / Research Info Graphics and Statistics
- Data on idea in Barcelona, facts and statistics. Comparison to other locations.
- Live data. Is there live data? What is the scale of the data- city, district, neighborhood or urban room?
- Legislation. Are there laws governing your investigation? Europe, Spain, Catalunya, Barcelona, etc
- Timeline: daily, weekly, seasonally, annually, multi-year?
- What are indicators on site of your investigation?
1-3 Research Questions
Initial Criteria (2 per person)
Method/Approach– Diagram how you will work
Data collection methods- possible approaches? App, Excel tool in GH, heat mapping with Google/JPG/Image Sampler in GH, GIS/GH
Mapping exercise due Friday.
Initial unit. Street or Block? Line Diagrams of initial relationships. Identify parameter.
** Please use the template in the Dropbox.
15h00 Prepare for Mapping
What phenomenon are indicators of your investigation and how will you map them? Metric 0-10? Yes/No? Survey? Interview?
Download app for Android and iPhone. Test map. Is it geo-locational with GPS and or data service?
Select study block and neighborhood to map?